Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Cooperative Begging


OK,  this is a weird story but, about six months ago a man approached me in the parking lot of my job begging for money.  I normally would not have any cash, but I happened to have some on me that day.  He had a whole story about his whole family living at this "janky" hotel at the end of the street and about falling on hard times.  So I gave him the $15.00 I had in my bag.  I knew that I could have just been scammed but I did it anyway.  Fast forward about a week the same man approaches me with an entirely different story on my way coming out of the Starbucks.  I let him finish his spiel.. and then told him for all intents and purposes to KICK ROCKS, because he just told me something different days ago.  He mumbled something unintelligible and walked away.

Since then, I see this man pretty much every day, in various locations.  But, there is one location.. where he frequents the most.  The strange thing about that is, that it is at the traffic light where I get off the interstate to go home.  There are about four gentlemen all in seemingly good physical health that work that corner.  They all have decent looking clothing, and they seem to work the corner in shifts.  But, they all use the exact same sign.  I don't know why but this really bothers me.  I try not to judge because I honestly, do not know their situation.  But, is Cooperative Begging really the wave of the future.  Are times so hard that even McDonald's, Burger King, and such are not hiring?  And, if these jobs are in your mind "beneath you", is Begging then the next viable option.  I would love to get your opinions on this subject.





No comments:

Post a Comment