Search This Blog

Monday, June 21, 2010

Why I named this blog Lyfe an Exercise in Hyprocrisy?

First of all, what is Hyprocrisy?
 
Hypocrisy is the act of persistently professing beliefs, opinions, virtues, feelings, qualities, or standards that are inconsistent with one's actions. Hypocrisy is thus a kind of lie.

The hypocrite thinks that what he or she usually professes does not somehow apply to him or her. It is not simply an inconsistency between what is praised or admired and what is done. Samuel Johnson made this point when he wrote about the misuse of the charge of "hypocrisy" in Rambler No. 14:

"Nothing is more unjust, however common, than to charge with hypocrisy him that expresses zeal for those virtues which he neglects to practice; since he may be sincerely convinced of the advantages of conquering his passions, without having yet obtained the victory, as a man may be confident of the advantages of a voyage, or a journey, without having courage or industry to undertake it, and may honestly recommend to others, those attempts which he neglects himself." - Samuel Johnson.
 
 
** I have often been one of the 1st people to dub someone a hyprocrite.  It's one of the things we say to justify why someone isn't who they claim to be.  But, the truth of the matter is most people aren't what they aspire to be. 
 
Let me share some of the ways I too could be called a hyprocrite.
 
1994 in my Momma's kitchen.  She tried to teach me how to cook, and I scoffed and said I would not be domesticated, I would have a maid to do all that.   NEWS FLASH!!! - The maid is ME :-(
 
1992 - I would never wear hair extensions.  Fast Forward 2000, I had this bright idea to cut my hair into a killer short hairstyle, and then my birthday came and I got what HAIR EXTENSIONS. 
 
1990 - When I have kids, they are going to be the most well behaved they will never embarass me and do everything I say.  Today - I realize my mom probably said the same thing
 
One Day - When I am a mom I will not let my self get run down and tired, I will always find time for me.
Today - I thank God for my 1 hour Lunch Break - it has turned into my pampering time.  To get my Mani/Pedis, Massages, and just General Quiet....
 
Bottom line for me is that Lyfe Can not be Choreographed.  No Matter how much work you think you have done to plan and prepare for your future.  There are some things that are out of our control.  For me, being a woman is a constant quest to find out what works for you.  Admitting that we are not all cut from the same mold and our needs, desires, passions and dreams vary from one person to the other, and one day to the other...

No comments:

Post a Comment